CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Protecting Yourself

What steps do you take to protect yourself?

Arizona has been at the top of the list of States with the highest rate of theft identity. It is kind of scary when you think about this.

There are different types of theft identity? Did you know that? I hadn't really ever thought of this.
According to Identity Protection Theft there are 5 ways your identity can be stolen.
1. Credit Theft (the most common)
2. Character Theft (A close 2nd)
3. Social Security Number Theft (using your SS number)
4. Medical Identity Theft (when someone steals your insurance number and seeks medical insurance charging your insurance)
5. Drivers License Theft (using your drivers license when committing traffic related offense).

One thing we do is SHRED, SHRED, SHRED! Everything! If in doubt SHRED IT!

I shred everything! If it has our name, address, anything I shred it!



Ever think about these statements from your pharmacy? Like I said I shred everything!

I am super careful when I am at the ATM or the debit/credit card swiper at the store. I may look like I am a little crazy but that is OK I will hide my entry of my PIN numbers!

I also am very careful of where I put my SS number. Does the Dr.'s office or ER really need my SS number? Do you know who is working behind the glass at the ER? Do you know who has access to your records with your personal information? I normally leave this blank and only if absolutely necessary will I give this number up. I have to say I don't think I have ever had anyone push for this number.

I also run a credit report on my hubby and me every year too!
I go to www.freecreditreport.com and run a report. Normally I will go ahead and spend what I need to run it on all 3 credit reporting agencies, you might be surprised what you find!

I always make sure if I am buying on a website that it is encrypted and I also normally use my credit card therefore if someone gets my number they can't wipe out my bank account. They might make it a pain to run up my card but I can fight that and still have the money in my account.

So how do you protect yourself?


Don't forget - see that little sign to the right? Is says We're on the Fence? Can you click that? Just one click and you are voting for my blog - it's that easy! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. We shred everything too. My Husband had his credit card # stolen years ago, nothing major was done just somebody ordering a bunch of "adult items" LOL

    PS-I voted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also shred. Not as often as I should. If I don't shred, I tear.

    ReplyDelete