CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 4, 2011

Paying it Forward - This is a Challenge!

Wow the last two days in Tucson, Arizona have been crazy and we have been dealing with weather that simply just doesn't normally occur in our region (one reason I missed being on here yesterday!). Yesterday morning on my way to work it was 15 degrees!

I know some of you are freezing in Nebraska, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee! But I have to say that we just simply are not equipped in southeastern Arizona to  handle such temperatures.

I have had many friends lose water and gas over the last two days. They are without water and heat and it is still going to be cold tonight but not as cold. Unfortunately some very sad news is that there have been lives lost in Tucson due to the cold.

I want to take this time to tell you about my passion of providing kindness to others. I love random acts of kindness! I love knowing that I have done something for someone or did an act that brought a smile to someones face and they don't know who or why someone did this for them.

What is something you have done to spread kindness and happiness to others? With the recent events in Tucson it just re-energized my passion to do for others! I witnessed people going out of their way to help their neighbors, friends, and people they didn't even know to help them out in the time of need.

It's nice to give some kindness even when there isn't a time of urgency but doing it just because. It doesn't have to be big, it could simply be smiling at someone you normally don't, or holding the door open for someone, or even putting a nice note in their mail box at work.

Random Acts of Kindness really ties into Paying it Forward as well. When someone does something nice for you pay it forward to someone else. If you haven't ever seen the movie Pay it Forward - wow it is awesome and movie and I encourage you to take the opportunity to watch it.

One thing I am trying to give my children is the sense to help others and give back to the community and do nice things without wanting recognition. We have participated in Making a Difference Day, sending packages to our military, to putting care packages together for the victims of the earthquake in Haiti.

I want to do more! I CHALLENGE you to a very simple task. Do one random act of kindness each day for a week! It doesn't have to be big! Please comment back and let us know how your random acts are going and what types of things you are doing! My family and I will be participating also!

"Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end."~Scott Adams

2 comments:

  1. Shanna, you are so sweet! I can probably name dozens of things you have done randomly for me over the years. Like the time I came to see you in KS when I was pregnant with Kam and you had all kinds of baby presents for me and you had your sister sew him his baby blanky (that he still uses). The times you got me out of the house and we went and shared chocolate molten lava cakes, our walks with all of our daycare kids in the strollers in puerto rico. Or just our long talks on the phone anytime I need you. You are awesome at being a random and blessed friend! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - you are the sweetest thing!! I am not sure what I would have done without you in Puerto Rico! you were such a life saver! I love that our friendship has continued through all these years! I hope you are up for the challenge! Let me know if you do random acts of kindness!

    ReplyDelete